Kareena Kapoor Khan on Nepotism

Forums 3. Bollywood/ Hollywood/ TV/ Celebrities! Kareena Kapoor Khan on Nepotism

This topic contains 19 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  akhilasri 1 day, 8 hours ago.

• Author
     mansi jain 
    She said, “A lot of things seem out of context. Doesn’t nepotism exist in every possible field? But nobody addresses that. In business families, the son takes over the business. A politician’s son takes over his place. These are not considered nepotism but in the industry it makes for a nice read. Also, not many star-kids have achieved what their parents have. So I don’t understand why people are going on about it. Basically, the industry is a ruthless place. It’s about talent and survival of the fittest. Otherwise, a lot of star kids would’ve been No.1 stars in our country.”

She further added, “If there’s Ranbir Kapoor, there’s also Ranveer Singh who’s not from the industry. So honestly, nepotism is overrated. More than in business, more than in politics, in the industry, it’s your hard work and talent that will take you far. That’s exactly the reason why Kangana Ranaut is considered such a great actress. And she’s not from the industry. If there’s Alia Bhatt, there’s also Kangana. It’s not only about star kids.” 

Well, looking at Kareena’s career graph there is one thing for sure had she been an outsider everyone would have forgotten her name by now. She gave flops and flops until jab we met happened still she stayed in the industry. Why? because of Nepotism. And she is defying it. Hats off!

deepika.sv deepika.sv 
    Participant

I have no favoritism for her, but she has some good movies recently! But, whatever she told is stupid! Handling business to your kid is not nepotism. It is a property made with lot of hardwork, why would a father give it to anybody else other than his son? On the other hand, film industry or politics is something different. there are several amazing artists who are not recognized because the producers find much profit in casting a director’s/actor’s son or daughter over the talented artists! I know a few people who dances and acts better than the main actor but are just used as extra! :pan:

Coming to Kareena, well her movie choices are good today, but lets not forget the over acting in Main Prem ki diwani hoon :headbang: :headbang:
    She better be sensible! she was also the same one who gave a cold shoulder to Ameesha Patel, when she won the best actress for Kaho naa.. Just because she had to be pleased, they gave her another award :headscratch:

http://packbagswithpikasu.blogspot.nl/
    https://www.instagram.com/packbagswithpikasu/

mansi jain 

Look where amisha is today because of few flops and where Kareena is even after endless flops. This is pure nepotism. I agree she is one privileged girl who is just acting as a snob.

Saloni_fizzy sparkles 

Ummmm I think what she said is absolutely correct… and as far as I know, she is one of the most amazing actresses ever :high5: she has had that celeb aura around her, she is a classy lady and has given a number of hits.. :high5: :high5: no actors have all their movies as hits and neither do we do all the great things in life.. we all have ups and how about we fail in a couple of tasks back to back given to us and be called “flops”? It is pretty easy to say but really difficult to digest.. there are so many star kids, Mithun’s son Mimo, Shekhar Suman’s son Adhyayan.. they were star kids too, but if they would have had that talent, they would be the no 1 actors right now :hihi: Anil Kapoor’s daughter, Sonam did pretty well and managed to survive while Harshvardhan did not completely.. if there would have been nepotism both would have had a similar debut break :high5: And I feel we are no one to judge anyone’s struggle.. we do not hang out with Kareena to comment :high5: every person has a struggle in their life and I think we should respect it :high5: :high5:

shubra 
    Participant

I like Kareena Kapoor but sometimes her statements are plain stupid. She is comparing Bollywood with politics and business but is she forgetting that because of same nepotism in politics we have not progressed as a nation and are still fighting Rahul Gandhi’s and Tejasvi Yadavs of the world.
    Yes everyone have ups and downs in career but a simpleton who is not from the bollywood families disappears in the darkness and people like her, Arjun Kapoor,Sonam Kapoor etc gets ample choices even after giving strings of flops. And she is saying about Ranveer singh than even Ranveer is not totally an outsider,he too have Bollywood family connection. Today Bollywood is all about churning star kids barring few and shoving down our throats. Sigh!!!

ShikhaSS ShikhaSS 

She’s not 100% right but then not 100% wrong either. Nepotism exists and in all fields. If my dad owns a business, I would want to take over after my dad and not give it away to some third person, no matter how talented he/she is. Stars also get their kids work but their success and failure ultimately depend on their talent. Bollywood has not-so-talented outsiders like Jacqueline and Sunny and they are doing great; on the other hand, there are talented star kids like Kunal Roy Kapur who are finally resorting to web series. I don’t think Kareena is a bad actress. And, we don’t have to give movies like Chameli, Jab We Met and Udta Punjab to Amisha Patel to prove this.

Don't Worry, Be Sexy! ;)

Sanjeev 
    Keymaster

I think she is right. Hundred percent. :smile:

Alia Alia 
    Participant

She says nepotism in Bollywood is overrated… So there is Alia Bhatt as well as Kangana .. But you think their journey was same?? Alia’s first movie was under Dharma productions banner for which she hardly had to do any struggle. On the other hand Kangana had to struggle a lot to reach where she is now.

mansi jain 

Exactly.

Kat 
      Participant

Exactly!

shubra 
      Participant

Absolutely right!!

mansi jain 

There is a difference between a business and a whole industry. If my dad owns a business I would be the one to inherit it but khan or Kapoor’s don’t own Bollywood, they work there they do not own it. A self-made business is a totally different case.

shubra 
      Participant

Mansi but they do think that they own bollywood, these Kapoors,Johars, Bhatts etc they think that they own it.

mansi jain 

But they don’t right? All they give is crappy movies.

Sanjeev 
    Keymaster

Businesses can be given to trust. There is no owner in Tata or GE. CEOs are selected according to merit. Whereas Mukesh Ambani dropped out of Stanford, and I don’t think he got even admission based on merit. He still got to run the business though.

What is Rahul Gandhi doing as leader of Congress?

Nepotism is everywhere. Celebrities by definition come into limelight more so bollywood nepotism comes more into limelight.

shubra 
      Participant

Thank you Sir for pointing out Rahul Gandhi’s case, it itself shows that what nepotism can do.The Congress which was unbeatable once, is now in sorry state.

jomolimbb 

I dread to think that Rahul Gandhi would one day lead the nation when people would vote for Congress to power, without giving a chance to other strong leaders from the party, I realize how wrong it could be, but otherwise nepotism in other fields is okay I feel.

Kat 
    Participant

There are parts of her argument that holds true, but mostly I disagree. Handing over your hard earned business to your son or daughter is different from film industry. And, why should any one hand over their business to a trust if they have a heir to the business??
    Kangana Ranaut’s statement is that outsiders have to wait may be ten years to get the grooming and media exposure that star kids get. Example, Jhanvi Kapoor!! She is all over the news for no good reason except that she is a star kid. She is already groomed, has had her nose fixed and always turns up in designer clothing whereas an outsider has to spent years to learn the ropes of the trade and educate themselves on how to present themselves and get noticed. It is a fact that some one from outside the industry has to wait to get a good launch. Again, like some one said the industry is more forgiving to a star kid and they do get second chances even after flop films.
    Of course, not all star kids make it. That is a different thread of conversation altogether!

Swathi_k 
    Participant

Nepotism in any industry will ultimately be harmful. Yes, businesses are mostly passed down from one generation to the other. But if the person inheriting the business is not interested in it or doesn’t know how to run it well, he or she will run the business to the ground and there will be nothing left to pass on to the next generation. But the key difference between business and Bollywood is that in most business families, the kids are trained from a young age on how to run a business successfully. The same is not the case in Bollywood. Bollywood as an industry has always been plagued by nepotism. People get jobs based on their connections and if not on their connections, then on their looks. Acting talent plays a very little role. That is the irony. At the end of the day, the movies that are always close to our hearts get to that place because it moved us. A movie like Chennai Express or Bol Bachchan or anyone amongst the long list of movies that have reached the 100 Cr club will never touch anyone’s lives the way movies like Udta Punjab or Kahaani or Chak De India. And what sets these movies apart is the acting.

So there is no point in saying that you want to help your son or daughter or relative and that is why you give them a chance in movies. Yes, you can give them one chance. But nothing can justify the opportunities that celebrities like Sonam Kapoor or Sonakshi Sinha or Salman Khan get. All it leads to is wastage of money.

The only people in the industry who speak up against nepotism are the ones who fought it to reach where they are today. All other come up one or the other excuse to justify their presence in Bollywood.

Travel and Food Blogger at : http://sanchari.me/

akhilasri 
    Participant

she said is absolutely correct

makeupandbeauty.com

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.